Most construction companies are equipped with different types of machines that help in making hard tasks super-easy and in reducing the number and efforts of labourers. Among those machines, cranes have an important and inevitable role. They are commonly used to lift and lower heavy materials. Cranes also help in transporting heavy materials.
Cranes lift heavy weights to greater heights by multiplying smaller forces. They work on the mechanism of the lever and the pulley. Cranes consist of a hoist rope, wire ropes, and sheaves.
Factors to consider while purchasing a crane
Here are some features to consider while purchasing a crane:
- Lifting capacity.
- Lifting range.
- Lift angle.
- Working radius.
- Weight and dimensions.
- Setup time.
- Sound of operations.
Different types of cranes
- MOBILE CRANES: Mobile cranes are the basic type of crane. It consists of a telescopic boom or a steel truss mounted on a moving platform. The height of the boom is raised or lowered using cables or hydraulic cylinders. The moving platform might be equipped with wheels or rails.
- TOWER CRANE: Tower crane is the right choice if you need to lift an object in a very distant height. They are known as the modern form of balanced cranes. Tower cranes often give the best of height and have strong lifting capabilities. It is commonly used in urban construction sites. Tower cranes have an important role in erecting multi-storeyed city buildings.
- TELESCOPIC CRANE: Telescopic cranes are compact crane units suitable for lesser spaced construction sites. These cranes consist of concentric tubular steel booms that help in easy retraction and extension for the operation. They are incorporated by a hydraulic mechanism. They are widely used by rescue teams and to launch and retrieve boats.
- STATIC CRANE: Static cranes are non-moving cranes that are affixed permanently. But they can be transported by using other modes of transports. Tower crane is, in fact, a type of static crane. They can be operated by mounting over a truck.
- GIANT CANTILEVER CRANE: Giant Cantilever Cranes are also called as Hammerhead Cranes. It is a static type of crane. These hammerhead cranes consist of a steel-braced tower, double cantilever, and counterbalancing weight. They are known for their horizontal racking movement apart from lifting and revolving. These are large-sized cranes weighing about 350 tonnes.
- LOADER CRANE: Loader Cranes are hydraulic power cranes that are often attached to a trailer. They are easy to transport as they can be folded into small pieces. These cranes are mostly used to lift equipment on to a trailer. They are known as Knuckle-boom Crane and Articulating Crane. A Rolloader Crane is a type of low loader crane mounted on a movable platform.
- GANTRY CRANE: Gantry cranes are capable of lifting and loading off heavy loads especially in shipyards. They usually consist of a hoist, equalized beams, and rails. Gantry cranes are available in multiple sizes. Container Crane or Portainer Crane is a type of crane specially designed for loading and unloading ship containers.
- JIB CRANE: Jib crane is for horizontal purposes. They are mostly used in industrial premises and on military vehicles. Hoists are a type of Jib crane usually fitted on the top floor of warehouse buildings for loading the goods easily.
- STACKER CRANE: Stacker cranes work on a forklift mechanism. They are commonly used in automated warehouses to raise or lower storage racks. They are the right choice of cranes to be used in freezer warehouses to lift and heavy frozen food materials.
These are different types of cranes available for hire and purchase. You can buy one of them according to your requirements and space.